Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
2Na + 2H2O → 2NaOH + H2
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
Sodium + Water = Sodium Hydroxide + Tritium
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. Na is a reducing agent, H2O is an oxidizing agent.
- 2 Na0 – 2 e– → 2 NaI (oxidation)
- 2 HI + 2 e– → 2 H0 (reduction)
Single Displacement (Substitution)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
- Names: Sodium, Na.
- Appearance: White hygroscopic solid in various forms; White, waxy, opaque crystals; Colorless to white, odorless solid.
H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water (H2O).
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas.
- Names: Sodium hydroxide.
- Appearance: White, waxy, opaque crystals; White hygroscopic solid in various forms.
- Names: Dihydrogen, Hydrogen.
- Appearance: Odourless colourless compressed gas.
|H2O + Na → NaOH2|
|H2O + Na → H2 + NaOH|
|H2O + Na → H2 + Na(OH)2|
|H2O + Na + PO4 → OH + Na2HPO4|
|H2O + Na → NaH2O|
|H2O + Na → H2 + Na2O|
|H2O + Na → H2 + NaO|
|H2O + Na → NaOH + H2Na|
|H2O + Na + CuCl2 → H2 + NaCl + Cu(OH)2|
|H2O + Na + NO2:- → OH:- + Na:+ + N2O2:2-|
|H2O + Na → H2 + OH:- + Na:+|
|H2O + Na + Al2(SO4)3 → H2 + Na2SO4 + Al(OH)3|
|H2O + Na → H2 + Na2O2|
|H2O + Na → H2 + Na(OH)|
|H2O + O2 + CO2 + Na → NaHCO3|