Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
2Al + 3CuCl2 → 2AlCl3 + 3Cu
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
Aluminium + Tolbachite = Aluminum Chloride + Copper
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. CuCl2 is an oxidizing agent, Al is a reducing agent.
- 3 CuII + 6 e– → 3 Cu0 (reduction)
- 2 Al0 – 6 e– → 2 AlIII (oxidation)
Single Displacement (Substitution)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
- Names: Aluminum.
- Appearance: Silvery-white-to-grey powder.
- Names: Copper(II) chloride.
- Appearance: Yellow-brown solid (anhydrous) | blue-green solid (dihydrate).
AlCl3 – Aluminium chloride
- Other names: Aluminium(III) chloride.
- Appearance: White or pale yellow solid | hygroscopic.
- Names: Copper.
- Appearance: Solid in various forms. turns green on exposure to moist air.
|Al + CuCl2 → Cu + Al2Cl3|
|Al + CuCl2 → Cu + AlCl3|
|Al + CuCl2 → Cu + AlCl3AlCl|
|Al + CuCl2 → Cu + AlCl2|
|Al + CuCl2 → Cu + AlCl|