Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
2HI + 2H2O → 2H3O + I2
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. HI is a reducing agent, H2O is an oxidizing agent.
- 2 I-I – 2 e– → 2 I0 (oxidation)
- 2 O-II + 2 e– → 2 O-III (reduction)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
HI – Iodane
- Other names: Hydroiodic acid.
- Appearance: Colorless liquid.
H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water (H2O), Hydrogen oxide, Hydrogen hydroxide.
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas.
- Names: Iodine.
- Appearance: Bluish black or dark purple crystals with pungent odour.
|H2O + HI + (CN)2 → I2 + NH4I + CH2NH2COOH|
|H2O + Cl2 + HI → HCl + HIO3|