Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
2CH3OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 4H2O
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
Methanol + Dioxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. CH3OH is a reducing agent, O2 is an oxidizing agent.
- 2 C-II – 12 e– → 2 CIV (oxidation)
- 6 O0 + 12 e– → 6 O-II (reduction)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
CH3OH – Methanol
- Other names: Carbinol.
- Appearance: Colorless liquid.
- Names: Dioxygen, Oxygen.
- Appearance: Odourless compressed gas.
- Names: Carbon dioxide.
- Appearance: Colorless gas.
H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water.
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas.
|O2 + CH3OH → H2O + HCOH|
|O2 + CH3OH → H2O + CO2|
|O2 + CH3OH → H2 + CO2|
|O2 + CH3OH → H2O + CH2O|