Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
2C8H18 + 25O2 → 16CO2 + 18H2O
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
Octane + Dioxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. C8H18 is a reducing agent, O2 is an oxidizing agent.
- 16 C-9/4 – 100 e– → 16 CIV (oxidation)
- 50 O0 + 100 e– → 50 O-II (reduction)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
C8H18 – Octane
- Other names: N-octane, Normal-octane.
- Appearance: Colorless liquid.
- Names: Dioxygen, Oxygen.
- Appearance: Odourless compressed gas; Liquefied gas.
- Names: Carbon dioxide.
- Appearance: Colorless gas; Odourless colourless compressed liquefied gas.
H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water (H2O), Hydrogen oxide, Hydrogen hydroxide.
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas.
|O2 + C8H18 → H2O + C2|
|O2 + C8H18 → H2O + CO2 + C + CO|
|O2 + C8H18 → H2O + CO2 + CO|
|O2 + C8H18 → H2 + CO2|
|O2 + C8H18 → H2O + CO|
|O2 + C8H18 → H2O + CO2|