Balanced Chemical Equation – Solution
Al2O3 + 2NaOH → 2NaAlO2 + H2O
The coefficients show the number of particles (atoms or molecules), and the indices show the number of atoms that make up the molecule. New substances are formed as a result of the rearrangement of the original atoms. As a result of a chemical reaction, atoms of chemical elements do not disappear anywhere and new ones do not appear, their number remains unchanged – this follows from the law of conservation of mass of substances.
Chemical Reaction Information
This is an acid-base reaction (neutralization): Al2O3 is an acid, NaOH is a base.
Ruby + Sodium Hydroxide = Sodium Aluminate + Water
Double Displacement (Metathesis)
Substances that react are called starting materials or reactants. The substances that form as a result are called reaction products.
- Names: Aluminium oxide (Aluminum oxide).
- Appearance: White solid.
- Other names: Oil of vitriol, Sulfuric acid, concentrated (> 51% and < 100%).
- Appearance: White, waxy, opaque crystals; White hygroscopic solid in various forms.
- Names: Sodium aluminate.
- Appearance: White powder (sometimes light-yellowish) | hygroscopic/ when dissolved in water a colloidal black solution is formed.
H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water (H2O), Hydrogen oxide, Hydrogen hydroxide.
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas.
|NaOH + Al2O3 → H2O + NaAlO2|
|NaOH + Al2O3 → H2O + Na3AlO3|
|NaOH + Al2O3 → Al(OH)3 + Na2O|
|NaOH + Al2O3 + HF → H2O + Na3AlF6|
|H2O + NaOH + Al2O3 → NaAl(OH)4|
|H2O + NaOH + Al2O3 → Na3[Al(OH)6]|
|H2O + NaOH + Al2O3 → Na[Al(OH)4]|
|H2O + NaOH + Al2O3 → Na(Al(OH)4)|